20 Questions...Answered is a reproducible ESL/EFL reading-and-discussion text
for false beginners, or for true beginners who have already had about eight months of
instruction in the language. It offers a number of important design features to make
both teaching and learning easier and more enjoyable.
1) Contextualized learning: The short self-contained articles in each unit benefit from
a very clear focus that facilitates realistic concentration on inter-related items of
vocabulary and grammar that are relevant to the topic and the argumentative
2) Content that really matters: Each unit examines a topic that will genuinely interest
3) Lively journalistic style: Although the passages are carefully limited to an
elementary level of language difficulty, their style remains vivid and authentic.
4) Well-balanced exercises: The plentiful exercises offer a good range of integrated
activities for each unit -- getting the main idea, basic comprehension, finding
details, inferences, interpretation and extension of important concepts, vocabulary
study, a word puzzle, and a cloze exercise.
5) Illustrations: There is a clear and evocative illustration in each unit; this can be
used as a pre-reading exercise, for vocabulary brainstorming, or as the basis for
6) Answer Key: The text includes a full answer key for every closed-ended question
in every unit.
7) Reproducible: Purchase of an original copy of the text brings explicit permission
to the purchaser to reproduce pages at will.